Beginning with your school life, your friendship, to your bank account, one thing which is common is the useful communicating abilities. A fruitful conversation is much more than having the expertise, enunciating your opinions, expressing your feelings. The other person may understand it completely, but the equation of effective communication is not balanced. The other vital components are the listening and comprehending messages.
EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION SKILLS = SPEAKING+ HEARING
Most of the people neglect the second part. They think that only effective speaking is not enough. But here, in this article, we will talk about honing the ability. It is necessary to avoid disastrous results, ineffective meetings, frustration and unproductive teamwork. If you want to achieve success in your career advancement, then your skill set must have this element.
Here are a few fundamental tips which you can incorporate into your work and personal life. Do not think about the circumstances; these hacks work everywhere and for everyone.
- Have a connection- Bond yourself with the other people on a personal matter. If there are any areas in which your interest does not match, look for those places. Try as much as you can where you see that controversy may seed from your interest. It can be any of the sports, hobbies, or any other. It may seem to have a difference in the tone of the conversation. The result of the colloquial.
- Show gratitude and appreciate- Time is an essential resource. If anyone is giving their time, then be thankful for it. Consider the gesture and appreciate it. Do not bar yourself from making any compliment or recognising any contribution they have made for you. It will help you in building a good and healthy rapport.
- Be positive; you will attract positivity- If you would be negative while having a conversation with the other person, it will not be counted as a productive communication. You can choose to be constructive instead of opting for complaining or negative approach. When you feel that the other person is being a critic and attacking you, and you do not like it, then train your mind for such situations. Rather than losing your temper and feel discouraged, choose kindness. There are several ways in which you can express displeasure. Be generous while doing it. It is up to you that how you want to target the person. If you wish to attack the other person while coating it in sugar or you directly want to hit him with cruel words, it is up to you. Yes, the former approach is better.
- Analyze the tone- There is a thin line between assertive and aggressive. Train your mind to differentiate between them and not crossing it. Try not to opt for antagonistic tone. Its nature is not at all productive. Espouse a cooperative and calm mood. You can still say the things directly; you have to be confident enough to do it.
- Look for the result- If you can focus on the outcome and have an insight of it before even commencing the conversation, then you are on the right track. Try to remain on points and know what your soul objectives behind the conversation are. Have a look at the list of the hopes which you have from the discussion. See what do you want to accomplish. If you consider this a difficult step, then you can choose from giving it help to the other person, resolving a conflict. It is also possible that you might want to collaborate an issue of a project. By choosing this, you are determining the flow of communication.
- Pay your ears to the speaker- Be calm and listen carefully when someone is speaking. Make eye contact. It is a crucial step in the area of having a healthy communication ability. I know that most of you might be having the habit of rushing to put your point forth by interrupting. But it is not productive. Every time you do this, you are disrespecting the person who is putting his point in front of you. There are several perspectives with which he might be speaking. Let the speaker finish. Also, try to talk less. There is a saying related to this. I am just writing its inference here. It is like that silence is better when your words will not make a difference.
- Keep your mind open- It is an art to retain all the points which the speaker makes through his speech. It is a valuable communication tool when you remember all your questions which have arisen in your mind since the beginning of the statement. So, if you can keep them intact in your mind, then nothing is better than it. In case you are from the otherwise people, not it down and ask at the end.
- Catch the signals- Body language is the tower of a human body. Notice the non-verbal cues which the other person is lending you. It can be in the form of lacked eye contact with the audience, or the distractions which s/he may be showing. Most probably, these are the signs of impatience, restlessness, mental or physical fatigue. If you are facing such issues, understand that the conversation with such a person can never be productive. If possible, wrap it up. If you ever had such “destructive” talks earlier with him/her and you are supposed to be a part of it again, then try to postpone it.
- Ask for feedback- Be present in the communication and make sure you have done it when you are requesting for others’ opinion. There is a perception that the audience has come to an understanding as well as resolved.
- Establish accountability- Follow up and try to end the conversation in a friendly manner.
Follow these tips to be direct, kind, aware.