What is ITIL?
ITIL is the abbreviated form of Information Technology Infrastructure Library helps organizations to improve their service level by reducing the cost of IT operations. In addition to this ITIL also provide guidelines regarding IT security mechanism by deploying optimal business management strategies within the organization. ITIL is required to manage the processes namely tool leverage, operational process, service delivery process, service and account management process and IT as a business process. The ITIL approach is a process-oriented approach which implies that the total working behaviors of any IT organization depend on the ITIL process. In other words, ITIL is a complete blueprint that can be used to design the architecture of project needs. There are total of five phases of ITIL namely- service strategy, service design, service transition, service operation, and continual service improvement.
- Service strategy- In this phase, organizations develop a demand management plan in order to fulfill the demands of customers. In addition to this, organizations also develop operational and marketing strategies in order to achieve customer satisfaction. Moreover, in this phase, marketing strategies, organizational development, and financial reports are prepared to evaluate the performance parameter of the organizations.
- Service design- In this phase, organizations develop management strategies as information security management, service continuity management, capacity management, availability management, service catalog management, and service level management. by using management strategies an organization can effectively run their marketing operations and effectively meet the requirements of the customer.
- Service transition- In this phase, organizations create a change management plan in which required changes are identified so that the operational & marketing processes and strategies of the organization improve to a great extent. In addition, to change the management plan, the various key areas of business are also evaluated so that business marketing strategies will effectively generate revenue.
- Service operation- In this phase, the problems that negatively affect the operational working of organizations are identified by using problem analysis tools and techniques. After the identification of the problem, a mitigation plan is created to resolve the problems so that the operational capabilities of the organization get improved. In addition to the problem management plan, incident management and event management plan are also created by the organizations in order to properly manage the operation of the organizations.
- Continual service management- In this phase, the improvement areas are identified and evaluated by the organization so that the improvement plans will be generated that helps the organization to achieve profitability factors. In addition to the improvement plan, in this phase service management plan is also prepared that are used to manage the services of the organization.
What is ITSM?
ITSM stands for IT service management which involves the management of IT services and infrastructures. With the use of ITSM, the management process and accountability factors will be improved significantly. In order to bring value to the business, ITSM systematic approach is used. As it brings transparency to IT-based operations to ensure that the business can efficiently achieve the competitive edge in the market by providing IT services to the clients.
Benefits of ITSM
- The organization can increase customer satisfaction by providing quality of IT services to customers
- The organization raise the awareness and understanding of IT services among the customers
- With the use of ITSM, the organizations effectively improve the decision-making process
- With the use of IT service management, an organization can create a risk management plan in which the business risks are identified and mitigated with the help of optimal solutions