What is Internet?
The Internet can be defined as a system of interconnected network systems that use TCP/IP in order to transmit various types of data, information and media. The internet is a network of global exchanges that includes private, public, academic, business and government networks which are connected by numerous mediums such as guided, wireless and fibre-optic technologies. The terms internet and World Wide Web(WWW) are often used interchangeably but do not refer to the same thing. The internet refers to the global communication system which includes infrastructure and hardware whereas the web is one amongst the numerous services communicated over the internet.
The Internet has been greatly influencing and upgrading networking to global standards since last three decades. Billions of user rely on multiple application and numerous networking technologies.
The primary component of the internet is Internet Protocol (IP). The internet comprises numerous hardware and software layers. The Internet Protocol (IP) is a communication standard which is used to identify the unique connected device. IP version used for communicating and transmitting data to other users includes Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4) and Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6).
The Internet acts as the most cost-effective and optimal method of communicating with the outer world. It includes numerous services that allow various individuals to communicate with each other. Such services include E-mail, Web-Enabled audio and video conferencing services, Online gaming and movies, Data transfer/file sharing through File Transfer Protocol (FTP), Instant Messaging (IM), Internet Forums, Social Networking, Financial Services, Online shopping and many more services.
What is Intranet?
Intranet refers to a private network which is contained within an enterprise or any organization. It consists of numerous interlinked and interconnected Local Area Networks (LANs) and also uses dedicated leased lines in the Wide Area Network. The intranet consists of connections through one or numerous gateway computers to the outside internet. The primary objective of the intranet is to share company information and related computing resources amongst various employees. Intranet could also be used to facilitate working in large groups and for executing teleconferences.
Intranet uses various protocols to transfer data from one node to another node such as TCP/IP, HTTP. With help of tunnelling, the various organization is capable of sending private messages via a public network or using the public network with encryption or decryption and other data safety protective measures to connect one part of the intranet to another (Moussa, 2019).
Large enterprises allow various users within their intranet to access the public Internet via implementation of necessary firewalls. The firewalls possess the ability to screen messages in both the direction in order to maintain the company’s security. When some part of the intranet is made accessible to individuals outside the company, it becomes part of an extranet (Usman, 2015).
Intranet helps to provide a secure and private enterprise network in order to share data and application resources via Internet Protocol (IP). While the internet is a public network, the intranet acts as a private network. It may host more than one private website and acts as a critical component for communicating internally and collaborating with other entities.
The intranet is based on the concepts and technology of internet but is meant only for private use. For example, it is not rare or uncommon for various organizations to store their internal contact information, business meeting and project schedules on their intranet.
Difference between Intranet and Internet
Both internet and intranet are used for sharing data amongst different entities. However, numerous differences exist amongst both the technologies.
- The internet connects different network of computers together in order to form a network of the interconnected systems while Intranet can be defined as a part of the internet which is privately owned by a particular firm or organization.
- Internet and Intranet can be differentiated on the basis of accessibility. The Internet can be accessed by any individual and doesn’t require any special permissions or authorizations. The intranet would only remain accessible to organization members having authorized and authenticated login parameters.
- The Internet is vulnerable to numerous data theft and attacks as it is used openly and possess less number of security protocols. Intranet on the other side remains safe and secure because the data is kept safe from outer world and data thefts.
- Internet and Intranet can be well differentiated on a number of users. The users of the internet are unlimited as it can be accessed by anyone and doesn’t require special permission. While the number of users of intranet would remain limited because of the fact that it is extensively used for internal communication in an organization.
- Because of a large number of users, the Internet experiences high visitor traffic due to which overall quality of services decreases. On the other hand, the Intranet is only accessed by limited personnel and due to which the visitor traffic remains less and limited.
- The network type of Internet is Public while that of Intranet is private.
- The information stored over the internet can be viewed by everyone but the information provided by intranet is too limited personnel only. This is because of the fact that the information circulates in the organization only.
Both internet and Intranet have similar aspects as well as numerous dissimilarities. The internet is a collection of Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN) and Metropolitan Area Network (MAN) but Intranet is mostly LAN, MAN or WAN. An intranet is safer when compared to the services provided by the internet since the user login credentials are updated at regular intervals in order to maintain data confidentiality and integrity.
- Moussa, M. (2019). Internet, Intranets and Extranets in Organizations: An Integrative Literature Review. SIU Journal of Management, [online] 6(1). Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/306031154_Internet_Intranets_and_Extranets_in_Organizations_An_Integrative_Literature_Review [Accessed 15 Jan. 2019].
- Usman, M. (2015). INTRANET AND ITS SIGNIFICANCE IN ORGANISATION.. [ebook] Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/277595822_Intranet_and_Its_Significance_in_an_Organization [Accessed 15 Jan. 2019].