The teleworkers and telecommuters who work in collaboration with other workers dispersed geographically are known as virtual workers. With the rise in technology and its availability, the number of companies undertaking this concept has increased. It comprises a significant portion of the workforce. Mostly, the companies with more than 500 employees tend to engage and work collaboratively in location unrestricted companies.
Benefits of the virtual environments
There are myriads of advantages of working in the virtual environments. According to a study, now the employees wish to work in such virtual teams due to the freedom they get. The individuals with any problem such as SAD, Social Anxiety Disorder, any sort of neurotic measures tend to look for such work. As there are lesser virtual-work challenges as compared to working traditionally in office space and face to face teams.
Effect of virtual teams on employees
Challenges of virtual teams
- Lack of communication- The employees are likely to feel the shortage of proper communication face to face leading to miscommunication and loss of information. It tends to hinder innovations, decision-making and effectiveness.
- No social interaction- People management skills are important and the ability to take people along is required which become hard with virtual teams.
- Lack of trust- the biggest challenge is the lack of trust which people sometimes feel being working in the virtual teams.
- Decision-making and judgement- Judging the people and their viewpoint about a particular concept is yet another drawback of the virtual teams.
How the employees can work effectively in a virtual team
There are many tools and strategies that make working in the virtual teams accessible. Some of them are as follows-
Social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn can be used effectively to connect with the team members. The profiles of the employees are likely to give some information about their personality, interests and social life. Also, meeting with the other virtual workers can give a boost to the quality of the relationship you share with them. Ask your boss for such a meeting once a year so that you can understand what they want and how well they are into their jobs. Creative thinking or team-building sessions can make a huge difference. Therefore, a rise in job involvement and job performance. Higher the satisfaction, more the job involvement.
Building a relationship
Making an extra effort in relationship building is another thing to be considered. Trust as well as relationship are to be built in the virtual teams. Both these traits evolve differently, as there are no social interactions. The parameters of relations to be built in virtual teams are reliability, responsiveness, and consistency. All these are known as task-based trust and ability-based trust.
How to build trust?
- Keeping your word is the first and the foremost thing to be taken care. One tends to consider another person when he keeps by his statement and in the virtual teams, agreeing on the deadline and then delivering the work by it.
- Maintain work ethics
- Respond to the emails on-time
Sometimes, the feelings of being isolated overpower our mind. It is required to cope up with such feelings. Taking active steps and spending time with the other employees is the solution. If you are still deprived of such a platform, ask for one.