System analyst is a professional of information technology who is specialized in order to analyze, design, as well as implement the information system. System analysts assess the information system suitability in terms of the intended outcomes, programmers, and software vendors. The system analysts not only need to demonstrate the great communications, self-motivation, and calm, but also should have technical as well as analytic skills.
Knowledge required for system analyst
System analysts are considered as the backbone of the organization due to the reason that they are responsible for multitude activities as well as surveillance of the project from start to finish. Following are some of the main skills required by the system analyst (MCKAY, 2018):
1. Analytical knowledge: at the starting point of any project, there is a need in order to understand the requirements of the client by the system analyst. A system analyst is also responsible to study a number of ways for dealing with the requirements of clients. Once a number of ways are identified by the system analyst, there is a need to analyze thoroughly about each and every aspect of the particular way along with various issues and benefits associated with the particular way in order to find the feasible solution.
2. Technical knowledge: a system analyst must have ample technical knowledge which can help the technical team in order to design a particular product with respect to the requirements and needs of the customer. A system analyst must have the working knowledge of all the prevalent operating system, hardware platforms, and operating systems. Along with this, a system analyst should be aware of the coding as well as debugging processes of any of the customized product and he/she must be able to resolve a number of issues which arises in the development of any product. It is expected that a system analyst constantly helps others in order to redesign any of the product until the product completion so that the efficient product can be delivered to the client.
3. Efficient planning and execution: It is expected that a system analyst should have a keen eye for each and every detail of the product development along with a number of changes occur in the development of a particular project. In addition to these, a system analyst should have a skeleton plan that depicts how the product would look like and what are the key features a product should contain along with the deliverables of the particular project. After making the skeleton plan, a system analyst has to ensure that all the different details of particular plan adhered properly along with proper execution of each and every stage of the project.
4. Man management: this is another skill that the system analysts must have. There is a need for great interpersonal skills in each and every system analyst for the purpose of managing people in an organization. System analyst should coordinate with the different members of the technical team. System analyst should also get the product in a customized manner with respect to all the requirements deliver within the provided deadline. He/she should ensure that the delivered product is a complete product and according to the requirements of the customer. A system analyst is also responsible for the smooth functioning of the project.
Overall system analyst should be multitasking, effective, and helpful in order to deliver high-class products and also in order to increase the client base as well as to provide profits.
Skills require for system analyst
A system analyst should have soft skills along with the technical skills. Following are the skills required by the system analyst (Vongsavanh, 2008).
1. Skills related to problem-solving and critical thinking: a system analyst must have the skills related to problem-solving and critical thinking. These skills are helpful in order to identify a number of problems associated with the system analyst. After the proper identification of the problem, a system analyst with the use of critical thinking should be able to find the alternative as well as an effective solution for the particular problem. After the evolution of various solutions, a system analyst should be able to select a particular best solution with respect to the problem.
2. Communication skills: a system analyst should be able to communicate with different members of the team in order to share any information or change in the requirements. In addition to these, a system analyst should have excellent skills in order to listen to the problems of the team members and to understand the major requirements of the client. Also, strong verbal communication skill is helpful for the system analyst in order to convey the meaningful message to the team members in an effective manner.
3. Analytical skills: system analyst should have the analytical skills in order to deal with various problems occurred in the development of the particular project and to deliver the smooth functionality of the product.
4. Reading comprehension: as the system analyst have to read about the manuals as well as technical reports, therefore, a system analyst must have good reading comprehension skills. Along with this, the good reading comprehension skills are helpful in order to implement technological advancements for meeting the requirements of the customer.
System analyst is one of the most important aspects of any organization which has to deal with the development and delivery of projects. Hence, a system analyst should have all the technical skills, communication skills, reading skills, critical thinking and better decision-making skills, and efficient planning and execution skills.
1. MCKAY, D. (2018). What Does a Computer Systems Analyst Do?. Retrieved from https://www.thebalancecareers.com/computer-systems-analyst-526001
2. Vongsavanh, A. (2008). The Roles and Skill Sets of Systems vs Business Analysts. 19Th Australasian Conference On Information Systems. Retrieved from https://www.modernanalyst.com/Portals/0/Public%20Uploads/Roles_and_Skills_Sets_of_Systems_vs_Business_Analysts.pdf