COIT20249 Information Communication Technology Assessment and Tutor Proposal
Assessment No: 3
COIT20249|Information Communication Technology
Student’s Score cards
Part B is the Viva component based on the report. Viva questions will be based on this written report.
The report is to be based on the following IoT use case for business.
Internet of Things (IoT) refers to connection of any devices (things) to the Internet. These things include mobile phone, camera, headphone, different types of wearable devices, drones, varieties of sensors, smart devices, household items (such as fridge, lights, air conditioners, coffee machine etc) and almost anything else that we can think of. So, IoT is a big network of unlimited number of things/objects. The devices of IoT can communicate with each other in real-time and thus produce huge amount of data/information which can be accessed from anywhere and analysed to make better decisions and automate tasks.
Recent technological advances in smart devices with availability of low-cost computing and interconnects made it possible to connect more and more smart devices and sensors to the Internet, which resulted in a massive growth of IoT applications in both individual and organisational use cases. Application of IoT includes smart health care, smart farming, smart transportation, smart cities, smart home, smart grid etc.
Although the number of applications of IoT in the industry is rapidly increasing but still there are some issues/challenges that need to be addressed before widespread adoption of IoT in the industry. Some of the challenges of IoT are interoperability issues among different devices, device management issues, and privacy and security issues of IoT. Another important aspect of IoT is that it can produce a huge amount of data in real-time. This data needs to be stored, processed and analysed efficiently to get the maximum benefit from IoT
You are a Technology Consultant of a consulting company that provides IoT related consulting services to a wide range of businesses, individuals, education institutes and companies. Recently, one of your clients, XY has contacted your organisation to prepare a document on how IoT can be applied to their use cases.
Here are the details of your client company: XY is an Australian apparel manufacturing company that manufactures clothes, shoes, fashion accessories. XY has the head office and three factories in the ACT region and has multiple outlets nationwide. XY also provides online retail service to its customer. Their head office has the following departments: Engineering, IT, Design, Logistics, Production and Quality, Accounting, Marketing and Sales, and Customer Service. Altogether 200 employees work in their head office, 500 employees in different outlets and 1000 employees in the factories. XY’s business is rapidly expanding and now their goal is to improve the work environment for the employees and their safety, modernise their outlets to attract more customers and improve customer satisfaction in terms of product quality and speed of their product delivery. XY management also feels that there is room for improvement in terms of environmental sustainability. Recently, XY management heard that IoT could be used to improve the efficiency of production, tracking delivery of goods and products, improve work environment and safety, and reduce consumption of energy and other resources. So XY wants to investigate how they could use IoT for achieving their goals. As a first step, they want your organisation to prepare a document on IoT technology and its possible application in XY’s use cases. As part of that, your team leader has asked you to research and write a report that should cover the following tasks:
- Explain what is Internet of thing (IoT) in your own words and discuss different technologies (at least three) associated with IoT (provide evidence of your research).
- Survey the applications of IoT in three different industries/sectors and explain briefly how IoT is used in those applications.
- Identify and explain (in details) at least three ways how IoT could be helpful in achieving XY’s goals. Clearly specify each goal and explain how IoT could be helpful in achieving the goal. You need to justify your answer with evidence from research.
- Do some research on the privacy, security and ethical issues related to IoT that XY needs to consider and write down your findings.
- XY advised that they prefer incremental/phase-based approach in adopting IoT in order to minimise their investment risk. Please provide your recommendations (three) on how XY could implement the identified IoT technologies (in item #3) in sequence.
You need to complete this investigation and write a report for your team leader in the next three weeks. Since this is an initial investigation, moreover, some of the staff do not have IT background, the report does not require in-depth technical details.
Specifically your report should include the following (word count details are approximate guidelines):
- Title page: unit code and name, assessment number, report title, assessment due date, word count (actual), student name, student number, CQUniversity email address, campus lecturer/tutor, and unit coordinator. If applicable, add extension request ID and the new due date. Must be formatted to a standard required for a professional/business report. Check week 7 materials for example of a professionally formatted title page. Not included in the word count.
- Executive summary: should include the purpose of the report, the problem including key issues considered and how they were investigated, your findings, and overview of your recommendations. This part should be approximately three quarters of an A4 page but must not be longer than one (1) A4 page. Not included in the word count.
- Table of Contents (ToC): should list the report topics using decimal notation. Need to include the main headings and subheadings with corresponding page numbers, using a format that makes the hierarchy of topics clear. Because you are including a ToC the report pages should be numbered in the footer as follows: title page has no page number; and main text to have Arabic numerals commencing at 1. Create the ToC using MS Word’s ToC auto-generator rather than manually typing out the ToC. Instructions can be found here https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Create- a-table-of-contents-or-update-a-table-of-contents-eb275189-b93e-4559-8dd9- c279457bfd72#__create_a_table. Not included in the word count.
- Introduction: provide a brief description of the organisation as given in the case scenario including any assumptions, a concise overview of the problem you have been asked to research, the main aims/purpose of the report, the objectives to be achieved by writing the report (include the tasks outlined in the case study) and how you investigated the problem. Provide an outline of the sections of the report. Should be approximately 250 words.
- Body of the report (use appropriate headings in the body of the report.): Define key terms you will use in your report that are directly related to the problem and the technology considered. Then present your ideas on the topic and discuss the information you found in your research that was relevant to the report’s objectives. Provide an analysis of the information that you gathered. Ensure that you explore the tasks listed in the case study scenario. Do NOT use generic words such as ‘Body, Body of the Report, Tasks’ as section headings. Create meaningful headings and subheadings that reflect the topic and content of your report. Should be approximately 1850 words.
- Conclusion: restate the purpose of the report and key issues investigated and the related findings based on your research and analysis. Explain the significance of your findings for addressing the problem stated in the case scenario and any limitations. State how your report has achieved its objectives and any future work to be considered. Should be approximately 250 words.
- Recommendations: 3 recommendations required. Format according to the Report Writing Guidelines discussed in the Unit. Should be approximately 150 words.
- Reference list. Not included in the word count.
- Appendices if necessary. Not included in the word count.
Why invest in our services?
Our assignment help team is trained to provide you high quality writing services.
High scores achieved by our students is a portrayal of our high quality online assignment help
You can place your assignment order through 4 easy modes of communication