COIT20261 Network routing and switching Assessment and Tutor Proposal
Assignment item —Written Assessment-2
Assessment No: 2
COIT20261|Network routing and switching
Student’s Score cards
COIT20261 written assignment 2
This assessment task requires you to demonstrate your knowledge of routing concepts by completing several exercises. You will utilise material learned in the unit and also extend that learning through additional reading. The assignment is designed to help you achieve the unit learning outcomes as listed in the unit profile.
Question 1: Routing Table construction
Given the network diagram in Figure 1, assume that all the networks shown are aware of each other and have fully updated routing tables, and that router R2 has been configured as the Default router. Construct the routing table for routers R3 and R4. List the routing table entries in longest mask order, and in CIDR format only.
Question 2: Fragmentation in IPv4
An IP datagram 5,500 bytes long (including header, with no options) arrives at a router, which determines that the next destination has an MTU of 1,500 bytes. Answer the following questions, showing your calculations and reasoning.
- a) Assuming the router decides to fragment the packet into 4 fragments, determine a correct size, and identify the starting byte and ending byte for each of these 4 fragments.
- b) Calculate the fragmentation offset for each of these 4 fragments.
- c) Explain why the total number of bytes from all 4 fragments leaving the router should be greater than the initial datagram size that arrived.
Question 3 –Software-Defined Networking (SDN)
This question provides you with an opportunity to research and learn about an emerging topic in networking: Software-Defined Networking (SDN). You are provided with the following introductory reading material to build a basic understanding on the topic, however, you may require further research from various sources and answer the following questions in your own words1. Your answers will be marked based on the clarity, logic, relevance, use of technical terms, and addressing all parts of each question.
- The basics of SDN and the OpenFlow network architecture: https://noviflow.com/the-basics- of-sdn-and-the-openflow-network-architecture/
- W. Xia, Y. Wen, C. H. Foh, D. Niyato and H. Xie, "A Survey on Software-Defined Networking," in IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 27-51, First quarter 2015. URL: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6834762 (access from CQUniversity computers for downloading the full paper from IEEExplore).
List all sources that you have used for preparing your answers in your list of References (Harvard Standard) at the end of your answers for this question (Q3).
- a) List the features of SDN and explain how these features help addressing current networking challenges.
- b) “SDN allows network devices such as switches and routers to be responsible only for forwarding data packets, and frees them from making control decisions, e.g., packet forwarding rules”- explain this statement including details on how control decisions are made in SDN.
- c) In terms of OpenFlow’s relevance to SDN, explain its functionality.
Why invest in our services?
Our assignment help team is trained to provide you high quality writing services.
High scores achieved by our students is a portrayal of our high quality online assignment help
You can place your assignment order through 4 easy modes of communication