Digital Innovation with Biometrics in the Automobiles Industry
1. Industrial Trends (Issues) affecting the organizations
- Automobile industry of Australia is the industry which is rapidly looking for the technological advancements to resolve the existing issues.
- The vehicles have been evolved with advanced technological solutions to improve the driving experience of the customers.
- The infrastructure of the vehicles has been improved to provide a luxurious experience to the customers.
- The engines have been advanced enough to reduce the fuel combustion and to reduce to the carbon emission for providing eco-friendly transportation.
- However, the accident rate is still increasing and the industry is rapidly enforcing the transportation manufacturers to find the solution to reduce the accident rates led by the driver drowsiness.
2. Internal and External drivers
Following are the internal and external drivers those led the organizations to follow the technological trends and the digital innovation in a successful manner: -
- Technological capacity
- Organizational Culture
- Financial Management
- Employee Morale
- Political Influence
- New Competitors
- Customer Satisfaction
3. Technological analysis and trends in the context of “Biometrics” in the industry
Biometrics is the technology which plays a significant role in the Automobiles industry. It might be in the form of fingerprint recognition, facial recognition, voice recognition or iris scan. Its focus is to analyze the psychological and behavioural characteristics of the individuals. Following are the existing technological trends of the industry in the context of “Biometrics”: -
- Automated access monitoring system: - Currently, there are number reputed vehicle manufacturers have been looking for the biometric technological solutions to automate the vehicle access control systems such as biometric seats, driver identification, steering wheel, automatic engine starter etc. It provides high accuracy and maximum protection to the drivers and prevents unauthorized access.
- Health monitoring: - Biometrics is the technology which could be integrated with the vehicles to monitor the health of the drivers while driving and to reduce the accidents to the driver drowsiness.
- Safety: - The aeroplanes, trains and airports faced a big number of deaths due to the terrorist attacks. For this reason, the authorities have been looking for the biometrics to provide better protection for the transportation goods and travellers. It is planned to be deployed for the applications such as physical access, ticketing system, identity confirmation. The automobiles have been deployed with the facial recognition system to help the police detect the face of a suspect or a wanted person through technology.
- Efficiency: Facial recognition is one of the biometric systems which has been deployed by Beijing Train station to improve the efficiency of ticketing and passenger management system.
- Customer satisfaction: - To improve the customer experience and trust for the manufactured vehicles and public transportation, the vehicles could be deployed with the biometrics system.
4. How “Biometrics” can solve some of the identified issues (Problem Statement)
- The increasing accident rate due to the driver drowsiness is the major problem in the industry which has been affecting the public interest.
- The driver drowsiness is risky for the health and safety of driver itself, health and safety of travellers and road health and safety.
5. Anticipated Benefits of Biometrics
- Biometrics is the significant technology which can resolve the identified problem with an integration to the Artificial Intelligence technology.
- The automobiles’ manufacturing could be enhanced with the facial recognition system and AI programming logics.
- It would help the deployed system of the automobile to detect the driver drowsiness through the smart cameras.
- The cameras could record the geometric projections of the driver's face and its movement.
- The certain angles of the face and yawning like facial characteristics would help the biometric system of the automobile to detect the drowsiness among the driver.
- It would help the manufacturing company to transform their existing vehicles to be semi-autonomous and to take control of the drowsy driver while driving.
- It would reduce the probability of the accidents as the driver would not need to bother for driving by himself.
- It would also improve the health and safety of the driver, travellers and help manage road traffic.
6. Business Model Canvas in the context of “Biometrics”
Following is the business model canvas to be adopted by the automobile companies to resolve the identified problem and to manufacture the semi-autonomous car with the biometric technology: -
· Artificial Intelligence Experts
· Software Programmers
· Cloud Vendor
· GPS provider
· Google (IOT device vendor)
· Highly User-friendly Automobiles
· Higher health and road safety while driving
· User-friendly Vehicles to drive
· Healthier rides
· Credible vehicles with accurate automation of driving system
· Working professionals
· Drivers often feel sleepy while driving
· Customers concerned for the health and safety of the family while driving through the long route
Funding Resources (Banks, NBFC, Investors etc.)
(Smart Cameras with Biometric identification system)
(AI experts, Cloud Experts, IOT experts)
· Technology costs
· Marketing and promotion costs
· Manufacturing Costs
· HR costs
· Revenue based on marketing and promotion
· Revenue from direct sales of the automobile with the biometric system
7. Customer segments using a Customer Value Proposition Canvas to “Biometrics” will be beneficial
7.1 Customer Segments based on Customer Profile
- Working professionals those often feel drowsiness while driving after their long working hours would be beneficial by the biometrics embedded system in the cars.
- The improved vehicles would also be beneficial for the Drivers who often feel sleepy while driving.
- The improved vehicles would also be beneficial for the Customers concerned for the health and safety of the family while driving via the long
7.2 Value proposition
- Highly User-friendly Automobiles for the working professionals and drowsy drivers.
- Higher health and road safety while driving for the customers concerned about the health and safety of the family while driving through the long
8. Before and After Customer Journey to outline the impact of “Biometrics” on the different customer segments
Before Customer Journey
Decision to purchase the automobile: Earlier the customer was used to decide the vehicle to purchase without any consideration of the driver drowsiness
Purchase the automobile: The customer was used to purchase the standard vehicle with no Biometrics
Utilize the automobile: The customer was used to utilize the automobile by its own or its driver and faced the high probability of the road accidents
Customer Satisfaction: Earlier the customer was less satisfied with less advanced vehicles
Customer Advocacy: The customer was less preferring to advocate the same automobile to its dear-ones due to lower satisfaction
After Customer Journey
Decision to purchase the automobile: From Now the customer would be used to decide the vehicle to purchase with the consideration of the driver drowsiness
Purchase the automobile: From now the customer would be used to purchase the vehicle with Biometrics and ready to spend bit high for the health and safety of its own, family and public on the road
Utilize the automobile: From now the customer would be used to utilize the automobile by its own or its driver and faced the no probability of the road accidents
Customer Satisfaction: From now, the customer would be more satisfied with the improved health and safety and comfort to drive
Customer Advocacy: The customer would highly prefer to recommend the same automobile to his/her dear-ones due to higher satisfaction