Guidelines to write a good argumentative essay
How to write a good argumentative essay is a common question that most of the students come up with when assigned with writing an argumentative essay. Sometimes your teacher provides you with some instructions and other times you only get the title of the essay. You must first know what is an argumentative essay? An argumentative essay is a genre in which the writer discusses two angles of an argument. The writer takes a position for the opinion and provides evidence in order to strongly support his/her position and refute the counter-arguments.
In this type of essay, you need to find valuable information according to your thinking and position on the issue. It is considerably difficult to perform every step with perfection. While starting your essay you might have thought that how to write a good argumentative essay? In an argumentative essay paper, you need to provide the readers with both sides of a problem. Both sides may be equally strong and either of them could be supported by you as a writer. The proficiency of your essay depends upon your dedication.
Difference between argumentative and persuasive essay
Many students confuse the persuasive essays and argumentative essays. There is a prime variance in these two types of essays.
The persuasive essay aims to convince the reader for an opinion to be right and it is subjective and one-sided. The writer tries to appeal to the emotions of the audience. It tests the ability of persuasion.
In an argumentative essay, the writer presents an effective argument on the issue. The argument is supported by facts and evidence. It is logic-based and objective. It is important to provide with the opposing opinions in an argumentative essay.
How to write a good argumentative essay structure?
Writing an argumentative essay seems to be a daunting task for many students. This is because those students are not familiar with the easy process of writing it.
A proper structure is the basic requirement of teachers. You can score good marks with crafting a good structure for your essay. By understanding the topic in depth, you can create an effective outline for your paper.
Outline of the essay greatly helps in saving time and understanding what content do you need for writing your essay.
A basic argumentative essay includes three sections:
Introduction: Hook and thesis statement.
Body: Support of your argument and refutation of a counter argument.
Conclusion: Transition with body and introduction.
These three parts are further divided into sections.
Tips on how to write a good argumentative essay introduction?
- Introduction plays a vital role in attracting readers. With an interesting introduction, readers decide if they want to continue reading. In the introduction, you need to provide background information on the topic. With the help of the thesis statement, you can provide a hint to the readers about what information they will get in the essay. Introduction paragraphs consist of a hook, background information and thesis statement in general.
- The hook is the attention-grabbing element of the essay. It can be a quote, question, interesting fact, etc. Write a hook that makes relevance to the topic of your essay.
- Background information is also part of the introduction. It is important to illustrate the complications. This part basically includes the questions and explanation of the theories.
- A thesis statement is an important part of the introduction. You can clearly state your position on the issue and give the main points for your stance.
Tips on how to write a good argumentative essay body?
- The claims made by you should support your argument. Without evidence, your argument is weak and useless. You need credible facts and correct information. Your evidence helps you to prove your point to be true and worthy to be agreed on.
- You can use credible sources like books, scientific magazines, documentaries, newspapers, official reports, etc. from the library.
- Make sure that you use the latest sources and not older than 4 years. Sometimes even 2-3 years make a huge difference, especially when information technology is a topic.
- Present as many pieces of evidence as you can present in support of the arguments. Don’t add any information that is irrelevant to your topic. Come up with claims that are required necessarily.
- Another side of argument needs refutation with some opposing claims and evidence. Your reader may raise objections so you should already answer to every question and objection that may reader think. People have different opinions on a particular topic. Counter-arguments are very important to use in order to refute the opposing side of opinion on the basis of opinions.
Tips on how to write a good argumentative essay conclusion?
The conclusion of the essay aims to restate the claim of the essay with the help of supporting evidence. Don’t repeat the exact lines written in the introduction. You have to put a final impression on the mind of the reader. Make sure that you don’t end up making readers unsure or vague about your essay. Don’t introduce any new information in the section of conclusion as it can tend to confuse the readers and it will require evidence to support new information.