Assignment B - Tasks to be undertaken
This assignment is intended to support the development of a clear research thesis proposal through:
• An introduction to the research topic and problem context
• The presentation of a clear aim and set of objectives
• A concise literature survey highlighting the key themes for your proposed project in a thematic manner
• A detailed explanation, with justification, of your chosen methodology for your planned research study
• A summary of any ethical issues that you anticipate and how these will be addressed.
• Consideration of any risks involved with the chosen methodology, and how these will be managed.
• A detailed work plan for the proposed study including Milestones and related tasks.
Assessment will be based on the extent to which the learning outcomes listed above have been met.
70% - 100% “Distinction Level”
Excellent work which demonstrates that the student:
• Possesses an authoritative grasp of the conceptual context within which the work was undertaken
• Is able to display originality, insight, and powers of in-depth critical analysis in the solution offered and/or is able to sustain an argument displaying originality, insight into current debates and conceptual positions, in-depth critical analysis, and is capable of expressing this argument clearly, concisely and accurately.
• Possesses a high degree of relevant technical competence
60% - 69% “Merit Level”
A clear grasp of an appropriate methodology suitably focused on the topic/problem. A good level of understanding, organisation and relevant technical ability. An ability to synthesize material and to construct responses that reveal good skills of critical analysis and insight.
55% – 59% “pass level”
A coherent response to the task undertaken demonstrating a sound grasp of appropriate methodology. Work will be accurate and appropriately organized with clear evidence of the skills of critical analysis.
50% – 54% “marginal pass level”
The grasp of material and methodology is such as to enable a basic response to the task undertaken. Work will generally be accurate and appropriately organised with some evidence of critical analysis.
45% – 49% “marginal fail”
The work demonstrates some understanding of the topic/problem but overall the achievement in terms of understanding, technical accuracy, organisation, and critical analysis does not justify a pass mark.
40% - 44% “fail”
Student’s performance is deficient in most respects, revealing inadequate grasp of the material, poor organisational and technical ability and poorly developed communication skills. No evidence of critical analysis. A clear fail.