Part 1: Data Analysis
To prepare a reply to the manager’s letter, you will need to use Excel to analyse the data set “Assignment 1 and 2 DATASET - Cleveland.xlsx” thoroughly.
You will need to apply techniques you have learned during lectures and tutorials in Weeks 1 to 3 such as:
â—¦ graphs, and
â—¦ summary measures.
You DO NOT need toperformanyadditionalanalysisother thanwhatyou have learned in weeks 1, 2 and 3.
Please use the worksheets ‘Q1’ through ‘Q5’ to work on each question. You may initially produce more Excel output than you need, so you will only need to copy and paste the relevant output from these worksheets to the ‘Results’ worksheet. Keep in mind the page limit of 8 printed pages for the analysis AND that the presentation of the results will be marked too!
Part 2: Report (that is, your reply to the Manager’s letter)
Write a letter to the manager, explaining essential information and conclusions from your data analysis. You are allowed no more than two pages to convey your written findings.
â—¦ Keep the English simple and the explanations brief.
â—¦ Avoid the use of technical statistical terminology. Your reader will not necessarily understand even simple statistical terms. Your task is to explain your analysis using plain, understandable language.
• The report is to be written as a standalone document (that is, assume for the scenario that the manager will only read your report, and not look at your analysis output). You should not have any direct references to your analysis in your report.
• When writing your reply, make sure that you actually provide the information the manager requested in her letter to you. That is, answer the manager’s questions.
• Do not include computer output tables and charts in your response report.
• Number your answers in your report 1, 2 a, … etc., to match the sequence of the manager’s requests.
• Include an introduction at the start of the report and a summary/conclusion at the end.
• Marks will be deducted for the use of technical terms, poor grammar, awkward sentence structure, poor spelling and punctuation, irrelevant material, poor presentation/organisation and letters that are over two (2) pages long.
Assignment Checklist BEFORE YOU FINISH:
Part 1 (Data Analysis)
1. Have you applied the correct analysis techniques?
2. Is the analysis in the same order as the manager’s requests?
3. Is every table and every graph clearly labelled?
4. Are there tables or graphs that are broken across 2 pages? (If yes, make sure you change that!)
5. Is the analysis output no more than 8 pages long?
Part 2 (Report)
1. Is your report written in plain language?
2. Is it free of grammar and spelling mistakes?
3. Is it free of technical language?
4. Is it free of Excel output (tables, graphs)?
5. Are the answers numbered and in the same order as the manager’s requests?
6. Is the report no more than 2 pages long?