On his way to rendezvous with Maria Hill, the espionage agency S.H.I.E.L.D. Director, Nick Fury, is ambushed by assailants led by a mysterious assassin called the Winter Soldier who works for the evil secret society H.Y.D.R.A. Fury escapes to Steve Rogers' apartment, and warns Rogers, also known as Captain America that S.H.I.E.L.D. is compromised. Fury is gunned down by the Winter Soldier, before handing Rogers a flash drive. Fury is pronounced dead during surgery, and Hill recovers the body. 1
Steve Rogers has asked you to investigate an internal S.H.I.E.L.D. transmission found on the flash drive.
He suspects that there is evidence of H.Y.D.R.A. double agents in the transmission. Your task as his friend and S.H.I.E.L.D. digital forensics analyst is to answer Rogers’ questions.
1. Who are the agents in the transmission? When does the first communication begin?
2. What browsers are the agents using and on what operating systems?
3. Are there double agents working for H.Y.D.R.A.? Who are they?
4. What applications are running on Steve’s computer? Should Steve have these open?
5. What web pages have Steve Rogers visited recently?
6. What is Steve Rogers’ email address?
7. What is Steve Rogers’ Password?
8. Is Steve Rogers PC infected with a virus?
9. What was sent for Daisy to collect?
10. Is Daisy an H.Y.D.R.A. agent?
11. Create a detailed map of the network, including IP addresses, hostnames, and services as well as suspected owners of each host.
12. Create a detailed timeline of the significant events that take place in the captured transmission.
As part of the answer for each of these questions you must include:
• A clear description of the evidence and reasoning for your answer.
• A detailed description of the process that you followed and the tools that you used to obtain the evidence. It is expected that you will include screenshots in your description.
After the Winter Soldier affair and the major part of your digital forensics investigation played in the outcome of that situation, Nick Fury has decided that S.H.I.E.L.D. should know more about the digital forensics field. He has asked you to review the latest research in the digital forensics area and conduct some investigations of your own either developing new findings or confirming previous work. Your task is to write a brief educational essay for S.H.I.E.L.D. forensics operatives that will be useful in improving their investigations.
Select one topic in digital forensics. This may include the following list but is not limited to:
• Acquisition Processes
• Disk Forensics
• File Carving
• Live Memory Forensics
• Network Packet Forensics
• Internet Forensics
• SDN Forensics
• Internet of Things Forensics
• Forensics Readiness
• Forensic Standards and Legal Regulations
Your essay on recent advances in digital forensics should not exceed 6 pages in the IEEE Conference A4 Template format. It should include the following main headings:
• Introduction – Provides motivation and background
• Previous Work – Describes lead up work to this area
• New Project – Title may vary, but should describe the digital forensics topic
• Conclusions and Recommendations – Describes future recommendations