Description of the assessment task
Students will conduct tension tests on material coupons and 3 point bending tests on the beam samples provided to their groups. Students will analyse the obtained experimental results to develop an in-depth understanding of material’s response to bending. Students will identify discrepancies, if any, between theoretical predictions and experimental results, and will critically analyse their observations. Students will share their test results with other groups to recognise and discuss the inevitable uncertainties involved in testing.
Following are a list of key activities involved in this assessment task –
• Recognise the significance of the testing procedure
• Demonstrate understanding of standards used for bending tests of metallic specimens and identify the significance of various testing parameters such as loading rate, test environment etc.
• Record the load-deformation data for your conducted tests
• Analyse your experimental data to plot
(i) Appropriate stress-strain diagram to determine required material properties
(ii) Load-deflection plot for your beam specimen with required annotations
(iii) Plot bending stress-distribution corresponding to the 0.2% proof stress at mid-span for the given beam sample
• Compare your experimental key results with those obtained by other groups (as specified in the following table) and justify observed discrepancies, if any.
• Share your experience during the experimental tasks with other groups and report on challenges observed/ experienced during the testing procedure.
• Compare theoretical prediction for bending resistance with your experimentally obtained results. Critical analysis your observations will be highly regarded.
Following table shows the list of groups who will share test results to assess variation in experimental predictions.
WP 1-1, WP 1-2, WP 1-3, WP 1-4, WP 1-5
WP 2-1, WP 2-2, WP 2-3, WP 2-4, WP 2-5
WP 3-1, WP 3-2, WP 3-3, WP 3-4, WP 3-5
BW 1-1, BW 1-2, BW 1-3, BW 1-4, BW 1-5, Cloud 1, Cloud 2
Cloud 3, Cloud 4, Cloud 5, Cloud 6, Cloud 7, Cloud 8
Learning resources required for this task
Practical sessions and video demonstrations available in the unit site will provide basic understanding required for testing of the material coupon and the beam specimen subjected to 3 point bending. Theoretical knowledge covered in classes during weeks 1 to 7 will be helpful in understanding the use of material design strength to determine bending resistance. Practical sessions and Bb collaborate sessions will cover calculation techniques required for determining the required design parameters.
Useful relevant study material will be made available on the unit site (accessed via DeakinSync), if and when required.