This is a group assignment that builds on the work completed in Assessment 2.
The objective of Assessment 3 is to develop skills that enable you to evaluate which idea (from Assessment 2) has the highest chance of success, and to then prepare a pitch that presents a compelling business case to secure financial backing. This facilitates an appreciation of what potential investors will be evaluating before they commit to project investment.
In summary, there are two parts to Assessment 3. The first requires the group to prepare a 1500-word business report that compares then selects which business idea to present from Assessment 2. The second involves everyone in the team pitching the idea to secure development capital. This needs to be recorded in Zoom with each team member presenting relevant PPT slides. Both the Business Report (Idea Selection) and Pitch (Zoom video recording) need to be uploaded by the team leader (only) to Turnitin in Moodle. The criteria for each component of the assessment are detailed below:
Idea Selection (15%)
The structure of the 1500-word business report should be set out as follows (with pro-rata assessment weighting totalling 100%):
1. Idea Evaluation (Develop an evaluation framework to compare the ideas developed individually in Assessment 2) (20%)
2. Idea Selection (Describe and justify how the best idea was selected) (20%)
3. Improvements (Identify any gaps that need to be addressed before the idea is pitched to an investor) (20%)
4. Revised Business Model (Amend the business model canvas to incorporate the above revisions) (20%)
5. Cash flow projections (Prepare ‘best case’ and ‘worst case’ cash flow projections for the first two years. Remember to state your assumptions about the key drivers of cash flow in each scenario) (20%)
The Pitch (25%)
Using Zoom, record a (maximum) 10-minute PowerPoint presentation that explains and sells the business idea to potential investors and customers
Each team member must present their aspect of the pitch in no more than 3-minutes.
The pitch should be structured to include the following (with pro-rata assessment weighting totalling 100%):
1. Overview of the proposed venture idea and underlying business model (10%)
2. More detailed explanation of:
a. The problem solved (5%);
b. How the idea is monetised (5%);
c. Financial feasibility ( Cash flow projections for the first two years: and Key Ratios: Break-even point and ROI) (5%);
d. Operational feasibility (5%); and
e. Scope and scalability of the idea for commercialisation (5%).
3. What you are seeking from the investor (10%)
4. What you are offering in return (10%)
5. Presentation was creative and persuasive (15%)
6. Presentation demonstrated commercial acumen (15%)
7. Evidence (references) supporting the idea are provided in the Notes sections of relevant PPT slides (15%)