Step 1: Students will choose ONE (1) case study from the list provided below.
Step 2: Students will answer the discussion questions (provided below) related to the ONE (1) case study that the student has chosen. Students will draw on relevant empirical literature to analyse the chosen case study and answer the discussion questions.
STEP 1: CHOOSE A CASE STUDY
Step 1: Choose ONE (1) of the following case studies on which to base your assessment.
You are to undertake your own research into the case study you have chosen. You are able to source information about the case study through an Internet search – you can use official reports, law enforcement reports, news media outlets, and popular media sites to research your case study.
Case Study 1: Data breach – Equifax (2017)
Case Study 2: Hacking – British Airways (2018)
Case Study 3: Romance fraud - Yoshe Ann Taylor
STEP 2: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
Step 2: You must answer EACH of the discussion questions, provided below, answering the discussion questions in relation to the ONE (1) case study that you have chosen.
As part of answering each of the discussion questions, you must research and integrate relevant empirical literature (ie journal articles) to support your analysis and responses to each of the discussion questions. You need to demonstrate evidence of your knowledge and ability to answer the discussion questions through the use of academic research and appropriate academic referencing (APA reference style).
Question 1: Describe the key features of the case study you have chosen. (Approx. 200 words) Include:
• Who are the key actors within the case and what was their role? (ie. victims, offenders, context, including relevant guardians/actors/stakeholders)
• What is the outcome, cost and/or consequences of the case?
Question 2: What is the type of cyber fraud that has perpetrated in the case study? (Approx. 300 words)
• Provide an overview and explanation (supported with academic literature) of the category/type of cyber fraud that has been perpetrated in the case study.
Question 3: Choose ONE criminological theory discussed in the course (7055CCJ) and use it to analyse the chosen case study (use empirical literature to support your answer to this question). (Approx. 500 words)
• What theory have you chosen?
• Provide a brief overview/description of the chosen criminological theory, what are its major theoretical tenets?
• Describe how the theory and its elements can be used to understand and analyse the chosen case study. Apply the major theoretical tenets of the theory to the elements of the case study.
Question 4: Based on the criminological theory (chosen in Question 3, above) identify at least 2 crime prevention strategies that could have been used to prevent or disrupt the cyber fraud identified in the case study (use empirical literature to support your answer to this question). (Approx. 500 words)
• Identifies and clearly explains at least 2 crime prevention strategies that have been linked and drawn from the theory and analysis presented in the previous question (Question 3).
• Explicit links are drawn from theory to crime prevention strategies and are linked to the case study.