4G is fourth generation network which provides fast internet speed and voice facilities. It uses Single carrier FDMA, Interleaved FDMA, Multi-carrier CDMA. The concept of 4G communications is widely used but still, there are some limitations to this technology. In the current scenario, users use more and more gadgets such as smartphones for accessing various internet facilities and applications. The user spends lots of time online so, there is a need high-speed internet connectivity due to ease the masses. The development of 4G network has provided high-speed internet facilities and voice over network (Khan, Qadeer, Ansari & Waheed, 2009). The 4G network provides higher data transfer rate over 3G network with use of appropriate spectrum and a good network, 4G LTE network is very fast and LTE (Long Term Evolution) based network which can touch 100 Mbps of speed. The 4G network has various advantages and disadvantages.
Features of 4G Wireless Network
- It supports Ad-hoc as well as Multi-hop networks.
- It provides high speed, less cost per bit and high capacity network.
- It offers global mobility, scalable mobile networks, service portability (Rahman & Mir, 2005).
- It provides interactive multimedia, video, broadband service, voice and wireless internet.
- It supports better call admission control techniques and efficient scheduling of network.
Advantages of 4G Network
- The most obvious advantage of 4G mobile network is its amazing speed. The increased bandwidth of 4G network leads to the faster data transfer speed and efficient voice over the network.
- The new network technology provides high coverage area than another system such as Wi-Fi which forces users to depend upon hotspots in every area.
- The 4G network provides a secure network to the user which is beneficial for corporate establishments and business persons.
- It enhances internet speed both for download and upload.
- It provides clear video calling and voice facility.
- This network is beneficial for using multimedia services.
- Multiple data plans provide affordable prices (Soffar & Soffar, 2018).
- The user can quickly download files over the wireless
- The network provides a high bandwidth network.
Disadvantages of 4G Network
- The concept of a 4G network is steadily gaining popularity, but its availability and connectivity are still limited.
- The hardware of the 4G network is available at cheap rates.
- This network uses multiple antennae and network transmitter from where the user would experience poorer battery life on their mobile devices when using the network.
- High data prices for users.
- New frequencies need a new installation of components.
- The current equipment of the network is not compatible with the 4G network.
- It has complex hardware.
- 4G network uses more power.
- It is hard to implement and is very expensive.
- Limited 4G network towers.
- High consumption of data.
Some Issues faced with the Implementation of 4G Network
- Location coordinator
- Support for multicasting
- Wireless security and authentication
- Failure of network and its backup techniques
- Billing and pricing
Some Common Challenges of 4G network
- Security of the network is a major
- Multi-access interfaces, recovery and timing.
- Seamless Roaming and seamless transfer of services.
- The various issues in the interface with Ad-hoc network should be sorted out. This new 4G network is expected to interact with various other networks such as hiperlan, Bluetooth, IEEE802.11b etc.
- The Digital to Analog conversation at high data rates, multi-user detection, smart antennas and complex error control techniques provide dynamic routing.
Khan, A., Qadeer, M., Ansari, J., & Waheed, S. (2009). 4G as a Next Generation Wireless Network. 2009 International Conference On Future Computer And Communication. Retrieved from https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/5189800
Rahman, M., & Mir, F. (2005). Fourth Generation (4G) Mobile Networks - Features, Technologies & Issues. IEEE. Retrieved from https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/4222790/authors#authors
Rawat, N. (2012). Future and Challenges of 4G Wireless Technology. IJSER Journal. Retrieved from https://www.ijser.org/paper/Future-and-Challenges-of-4G-Wireless-Technology.html
Soffar, H., & Soffar, H. (2018). 4G Technology uses features , advantages and disadvantages | Science online. Retrieved from https://www.online-sciences.com/technology/4g-technology-uses-features-advantages-and-disadvantages/